Monday, May 19, 2014

A new studio is coming... eventually

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been searching for a new place to put my studio and galleries. The search has been at times quite frustrating. Looking at the available land listed in SL Search and getting some tips from friends, has led me nowhere.

So yesterday as I roamed the streets of Bay City after the 6th Anniversary Party and Parade there, I began to ponder about putting my studio there. Since then I have started working out the pros and cons of having my gallery in Bay City.

Pros:

  • I know the people that I would be dealing with there. Whenever you go someplace new, it is always good to know that you have a base of support and knowledge of the area that you can draw upon.
  • Bay City is an active community. There are so many communities in Second Life that pop up and then slowly die off. Finding one that has stuck around and stood the test of time is always a positive.
  • Infrastructure. Bay City has a set of streets that you can use to get around the city. It is not like many places that can be accessed only by teleporting directly to them.
Cons:
  • Land Prices: The price of purchasing land in Bay City is astronomical compared to most other areas in Second Life. This make a very high barrier to entry for anyone wanting to live or work in Bay City.
  • Theme / Building codes: Can I make the vision that I have work in the 1950s era theme of Bay City?
  • Location, Location, Location. Can I find a good location to place my studio where it can be seen and easily accessed? There are a lot of places in Bay City where land is locked behind other resident's homes or businesses making it difficult for people to see or access.
  • Self-censorship. It is a question that I have been asking myself since I returned and started looking for a place for new studio. Can I make it work on a Moderate rated region? My answer has come up "Yes", but that is based on my interpretation of the ratings. Others may see things differently, which leads to a second question. Will I change my art to avoid potential conflict with other residents? That is a harder question, right now my answer is "Maybe".
These are just a few of the things that must be weighed as I consider placing my studio in Bay City. It is not going to happen overnight. My current goal is to reopen my studio by early July.  I have enlisted the aid of a long-time Bay City resident in my search. Hopefully, with their help, I will be able to secure a location sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment